This autumn we are cooking – BUJTO REPO
Bujta repa, a popular Pomurje dish, is prepared during the Kolin period - in late autumn, when it is getting colder outside. Hence the name, as 'bujti' means 'to kill' in Prekmurje. Various blood sausages and roasts are served alongside bujti tails. Enjoy traditional delicacies, or "koline", in these autumn days in many Pomurje restaurants.
For those who like cooking, here's a short recipe:
Ingredients for 4-6 persons
- 500 g pork bones
- 1 kg pickled turnip
- 100 g millet porridge
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 heaped tablespoon ground red pepper (sweet or not hot)
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 large onion
- 2 large tablespoons of lard (left over from cooking the ribs)
- peppercorns salt, ground pepper
It can be served with: Slow-roasted pork ribs
- First, taste the turnips - if they seem too sour, rinse them with water.
- Then throw the pork bones into a large bowl and cover them with the pickled turnips, peppercorns, bay leaves and three peeled garlic cloves. Cover with water to cover all the ingredients and cook for 45 minutes.
- After half an hour of slow boiling, add the millet porridge, stir and leave to simmer.
- Meanwhile, prepare the oil by sautéing the onion until light brown, adding the onion and sautéing until dark brown, sprinkle with the ground red pepper, pour in 2 dl of cold water, stir and bring to the boil.
- Mix everything together with the turnips. Add two finely chopped garlic cloves and two large spoonfuls of lard (left over from cooking the ribs), salt and pepper to taste and leave to cook slowly for another 15 minutes.
Cooked with you Boštjan Berke, Zeleni gaj